Sunday, March 3, 2013

February 4, 2013


Hey Everybody!!!

Hope that everyone is doing well. We're loving life here in Ontario. Interesting that you went to an Islamic prayer meeting, we are living right now with a missionary who speaks Farsi (Persian), and as a consequence knows quite a bit about the Middle East and Islam, we've learned tons from him already.

To answer a few questions: The branch is pretty solid, about 40 people in sacrament every week. A few return missionaries with a ton of fire. Pretty much the entire branch is going to school in London (mainly Western University). Not too much diversity in culture, most of the members are either straight Canadian or first generation immigrants but basically Canadian. There is a fairly decent Chinese population; we have mandarin elders so that part of the branch is growing quite a bit.  

London itself is quite nice. Warm weather (minus 10, cake-walk compared to Sudbury or Calgary).  It is definitely a city (aka there's crazies downtown) but there's a lots of great people and it's a beautiful, clean city. There's a decent Spanish population here and my companion speaks a decent amount so I get to practice a bit even though we aren't technically in Spanish work.  

As far as the week goes, it was pretty crazy. Not too much in the way of investigators, everybody has midterms right now. We went down to Brampton for zone leader council (awesome as usual), went to Windsor (the farthest south part of the mission) on exchanges and had interviews with president Scott (that actually happened last week but I think I forgot to mention it).

As far as spiritually, this week I learned something great. We have been studying a bit about how the Spirit works and one of the things that stuck out to me was how often the spirit will simply "put it in our heart" to do something. We don't hear anything, we don't see anything, we may not even know at first it came from God, but the spirit can simply give us desires to do something good, or want to share a past experience with someone else. I had that happen this week. Stefan, our recent convert in Sudbury, is having a tough time and I got the chance to speak with him. For some reason I wanted to share something with him that I had felt the first time we met him. I did and afterward he said that he felt an "overwhelming" feeling as I shared that experience and bore testimony to him. I honestly didn't even know why it came to my mind at first, but of course looking back I can see that the Spirit "put it in my heart" to share that with him. God does direct this work, He does know us personally and we can receive His guidance in our lives.

I'll get off my soapbox now ;) Love you all, hope you have a fantastic week, talk to you soon!!

Tyler 

No comments:

Post a Comment